Writing fiction is my true love. My dream career.
Normally there are voices in my head. Characters battling it out for the right to have their story told next.
I ignored them for months as life got in the way.
And now? I sit down, fingers ready, only to be greeted by silence.
Naturally I wondered why….
10. They couldn’t take the constant screeches of my children anymore and relocated to a cantankerous old man who lives in a quiet nursing home. They are trying to get him diagnosed with a case of Tourette syndrome.
9. The majority are emotionally immature thanks to all of the young adult characters. They are pissed off (at being ignored) and giving me the silent treatment. I am also unfriended on facebook.
8. It’s winter. They’re vacationing in Tahiti.
6. My inner critic is so loud they are forced to wear ear plugs while blasting music through their headphones to blot him out (he sounds a lot like R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket).
5. A charismatic, psychopathic character convinced everyone to drink the Kool-Aid.
4. A few characters were hungry, transforming the rest into vampires. The non-sparkling kind. They have to sleep during the day.
3. They found a portal to another dimension and were greeted by a rabid group of hungry hippos. Who promptly devoured them for lunch.
2. They signed up for Hulu Plus and are working their way through all the seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.
1. They are huge football fans and will be unreachable until after the Superbowl.
* * *
Why do the characters in your head stop talking? Or am I the only one who has (or did have) characters living in their head…