My two children and I spent eight days in Iowa – with a good portion my and my husband’s immediate family present.
It was awesome.
But my children got a little addicted to
everything a few things while we were there.
And now they’re forced to go cold turkey.
It isn’t pretty.
Top 10 Activities for “Detoxification”
9. Outdoor Afternoons: Lil Diva is often a wee bit cranky following her nap, and the best thing to do is get her outside. The hottest it was in Iowa during our visit? 85 degrees. The lowest high? 55 degrees. The last day? 65 degrees and perfect. Every afternoon (minus the one where a monsoon hit. We returned to Texas in a near record setting heat wave. The temperature? 100 degrees with higher heat indexes.
8. Brownie Baking “from Scratch”: I’m a brownie addict. I love Duncan Hines Double Fudge Brownies (fudgy style). Before Duncan Hines, there was my G-ma’s homemade brownies. The Tackler made them in Iowa. Twice. Once with Mimi while I slept in. The second time with G-ma.
6. Driving Motorized Equipment: Cars require car seats. There aren’t any rules about riding lawnmowers….
5. Play “Dating”: The Tackler has “had a thing” for my friend’s daughter since their first meeting as babies, when they magically held hands without any help from us. He kept following her around when we managed to meet up again..
4. Unending Supply of People to Crush in Candyland or Trouble: At home there is Daddy or Mommy. Rarely both, as one of us must distract his sister. But in Iowa, you have a Wait List to play Candyland and Trouble.
3. Alternative Book Narrators: The Tackler and Lil Diva love books. Even better? New books and a change of narrator.
2. Actual Home Cooked Meals with Courses: I don’t cook much and I do, we don’t really have many side dishes; with only four people, two of them pint sized, it’s a waste of food. But when you have 6-8 people every night, you get an awesome side dish smorgasbord – including Mimi’s (formerly Uncle Peter’s) homemade salad dressing. It was so good The Tackler DRANK the leftover dressing from the bowl.
1. An Adoring Audience for Every Event: Whether sliding, shooting off rockets, driving the lawn mower, playing Trouble, or building towers of blocks, an adoring audience waited with bated breath to see my children’s next moves. Cheers, laughter, and applause rang in the air.
So wish us luck, as we continue the detoxification to get back to “normal”.
For those in United States, enjoy your Memorial Day.
For those who are Canadian or from another country?