It is a wonderful idea.. in theory.
Gain an hour of sleep. Fabulous!
However, if you have any young children, the reality is more like communism: good on paper, but it disintegrates to shreds in real life.
So whenever some person – who obviously does not have a child under the age of five – dares to ask, “What are you going to do with your extra hour of sleep?” I restrain the urge to bestow The Death Glare upon them for their ignorance.
Instead, I smile through gritted teeth. “I plan on sleeping – if my children through some miracle observe our arbitrary numbers on these digital devices we call clocks, instead of the bright light of the sun shining into their rooms. Through blackout curtains.”
I was never a fan of time changes. That extra hour was not just an extra hour. If it was, we’d get to keep it. Instead, it is a loan.
A loan given to us every fall, then brutally repossessed from us again in the spring. Like snatching away a treasured Christmas gift on Valentine’s Day, just for sheer diabolical joy of it.
Since becoming a mother, I have grown to despise time changes Currently, the score of The Measurement of Time My Child/ren Follow is:
Time Change: 0
Time the Sun Rises: 8
With the time change, that extra hour of light in the evening is cruelly taken away, and with it, the park time we liked to have following nap time, but before dinner.
And it’s tacked on to the morning, because I really needed them to be up at 6:30 AM. Or earlier.
Have I mentioned lately, that I hate mornings?
If I had my way and was Supreme Ruler of The World or At Least of The State I Live In – I would ban the return to “normal time.” We already have Daylight Saving time 75% of the year – let’s finally give up the other 25%.
At least until my kids are teenagers.
Note: In a twist of irony, WordPress believes it is tomorrow, even though my trusty clock now displays 11:13 PM “normal time.”